Monday, March 16, 2009

Unfamiliar Territory..


There are a couple of things I would like to discuss today considering the Jackets past week.

First, I would like to put a bit of perspective on what they accomplished, to assure that fans do not take to heart the 4-0 beating yesterday.  They beat some of the best teams in the league in Boston and Detroit, and punished the Blackhawks and Penguins for not preparing themselves.  They took 8 of 10 points in a week that basically spelled potential disaster towards their playoff hopes, and it will most definitely go into the local record books as one of the best weeks in their history.

Now, to my second point of optimism..  The last time they played this dominant, it was rebounded with three or four very poor efforts, which leads me to believe they got over confident in their abilities and did not show up for games.  I would like to think that the embarrassing effort against the Red Wings yesterday will be enough to make sure they do not take their next opponent lightly.

Finally, the last wishy washy 'love my team' point.  They have already become the best Jackets team on paper, with their overall record.  Everything they do from here is rewriting their statistical best, and if they are the team I think they are, it will be rewritten a couple times within the next 2-3 years.  They are now playing for the fans, not for the expectations from management, because they have already gone above and beyond what most thought they would this year.

With only two games this week, against an always potent Chicago, and a playoff contending Florida, the points will again come at a price.  The Jackets will need to stay focused on a number (hopefully one in the 90s) and aim for it prior to the year ending.  Expect a standings update very soon!

Carry the Flag!

3 comments:

  1. And, as I said to my guy yesterday, when was the last time we got shut out? Quite some time!!! It happens to every team. We pick ourselves up & go to the next game, better prepared.
    Go Jackets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, the last time was also against Detroit... But great optimism Nancy! Each time the Jackets get 'goosed' they seem to come out firing the next couple games.

    RJ said it best yesterday when he said they'd be hitting the tapes hard today. Hope he's right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is exactly it.

    I think we can win when Chicago comes here. I think we can win in Florida and at Tampa. I think we're going to see a challenge when Calgary comes to town, and I think we'll probably split the remaining games with the Preds.

    If they can rebound as strongly as we know they can, the March to the Playoffs will not be stopped.

    I'd like to think we can take 8 of the last 12, but I think if we can manage at least 6-7, we're in strong shape.

    ReplyDelete